I often get asked questions along the lines of this: How do you do it all? You have three kids, a full-time job, you’re a wife and write a blog. Where do you find the time?
I don’t really have a good answer, because I don’t know myself. I used to say little sleep, but after reading an article that linked lack of sleep to six health problems like colon cancer and mortality, I’m backtracking on this and forcing myself to go to bed earlier.
In reality though, I don’t do it all. There’s always an imbalance somewhere. Maybe one week it’s the clean clothes that sit unfolded for days or a week of very few home cooked meals or a week when hubbie’s not getting any attention. Thinking about these questions got me to thinking–why not share a list of “Keeping it Real” things you should know about me lest anyone (myself included) thinks I’ve got this wife/mom/homemaker thing all figured out. Feel free to get in some good laughs at my expense.
1. I can be pretty double-minded. For instance, I’d love to have the body of Halle Berry, but my exercise routine is pretty non-existent, and I have little self-control when it comes to eating. Thankfully (or not), I have a high metabolism.
2. In my ideal world, I’d be a stay-at-home mom with all three kids in school and a maid and cook that came by daily. I guess that’s why I have yet to win the Mega Millions Lottery. God don’t like lazy.
3. On most days, our entire family goes to bed still in school/work clothes. We suck at bedtime routines.
4. I’m also terrible about remembering to make the kids wash their hands and say grace before dinner. This completely grosses hubbie out, especially when we’ve all been playing outside.
5. There’s been a time or two where my kids’ constant whining and the dog’s barking has made me snap and yell shut up and other inappropriate things.
6. I lean towards the hyper-critical side. I’m the one that usually notices what’s wrong before getting to what’s right. Put me in front of a mirror for 5 seconds, and I could easily point out 10 things that I don’t like. I’ll also notice what hubbie didn’t clean up before thanking him for attempting to clean at all.
7. I’m ridiculously shy, which often gets mistaken for being stuck-up or stand-offish. If given a choice between licking a toilet bowl and speaking in front of an audience, I’d probably go for the toilet bowl. On the rare occasion when I tap into my extroverted side and kill it with my personality and jokes, it completely wears me out.
8. I sometimes pick my nose when I think no one is looking. Good thing I’m a boy mom.
9. The bathroom is my hiding place. I’m in there so long that my well-intentioned hubbie often tells me to take more fiber so it’ll be easier to poop. Little does he know that I may be in there just reading a book, surfing the internet or having a timeout. (Oh, and if anyone blows my cover, I might seriously cut you.)
10. I brought more student loan debt to the marriage than my hubbie even though I received way more scholarship money than he did. How does that work? It’s actually kind of absurd that I had much student loan debt at all given that I had pretty substantial scholarships for both undergraduate and graduate school. Fortunately, I’m finally getting financially savvy and working towards being debt free, but old habits die hard. Bad credit card, bad boy!
Your turn…Which of these surprised you the most? Do you have any “secrets” that others might be surprised to know about you?