My sweet baby girl was born in June 2011. I started painting and decorating her room a few months before then, but ran into a roadblock when it came time to painting the ceilings. I’d underestimated how high they were and couldn’t find a chair or stool in the house to reach them. We also didn’t have a ladder at the time, so I promised myself that I’d finish up her room before her 1st birthday figuring that was pleeeenty of time to get things done. Yeah right!
More than a year later and her room still looks like this.
Matter of fact, aside from a very few token things I’ve done here and there, it actually looks worse than before because the room has become a holding tank for clothes and other miscellaneous items we need to give away or that I’d hoped to include in my garage sale. (At this point, I’m leaning towards just calling one of those donation centers that do pickups and have them haul everything away.)
At the rate I’m going, the poor child will be in kindergarten before I finish her room. So, to make sure that’s not the case, I’m determined to get on the ball and pretty up this room before the end of the summer, which according to my Google search is September 21st.
Here are my decorating ideas:
1. Finish painting the ceilings and walls. We finally bought a ladder, so hopefully it’s tall enough to reach the top of the ceiling. I brought it up to the room about two weeks ago and have yet to do anything with it.
2. Organize the closet. I’ve already taken out the bottom clothes rod that wasn’t serving much purpose. Now, I’d like to add some shelves for her shoes.
I also want to add some cute labels to the baskets I picked up from the dollar store for her birthday party.
Since the closet is so small, I’m also giving serious consideration to removing the closet door completely and adding a frilly curtain like this one.
3. Dress up the bulletin board. I made a few efforts to make the cork board more girlie, but it’s still a little blah. I really like the one Tamara showed us awhile back.
4. Add a reading chair. My plan is to take this chair from the boys’ room and pink it out with some stripes or frilly decorations.
5. Add toy storage. For her birthday, baby girl finally received her first baby dolls . Now, we just need to find a place to store them. Here are a couple of cute ideas that I really like.
6. Maybe add a pretty rug and lamps. I’m undecided on these—these may get added this year or could be a project for next year.
7. Add some wall art. The room has a lot of bank wall space, so I’d like to try my hand at making some type of wall art. I really adore the “You are my sunshine” ones. This one is my favorite so far because you know how much I love pennants.
8. Paint the ceiling fan. This is my thinking outside the box, wish list item. I saw this painted ceiling fan a few months back and was immediately smitten. I think it’s a brilliant idea and love the pop of color. Question is, can I get the fan blades down and back up again without breaking my neck. Hmmm…
As you can tell, this list should keep me plenty busy for awhile. It’s just a matter of getting my mind right and actually getting to work.
Your turn…what’s on your summer to do list?