All good things must come to an end, folks. The 2012 Summer Reading Fest is officially a wrap. (You can read it all about it’s humble beginnings here, here and here.) So let’s get down to the reading list and how you can get in on some prizes.
I hope y’all were able to dig into some really good books. I sure did! Even though I didn’t get through my entire reading list, I made a pretty good dent on it as you can see below:
The Interruption of Everything, Terry McMillan Lone Survivor, Marcus Luttrell
- Bringing Up Boys, James Dobson
- The Known World, Edward P. Jones
Frumps to Pumps, Sarah Mae Always Know What to Say: Easy Ways to Approach and Talk to Anyone, Peter Murphy Elizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern Monarch, Sally Bedell Smith
- No Higher Honor: A Memoir of My Years in Washington, Condoleeza Rice (I’m currently reading this one now. According to the Kindle app, I’ve only read 9% of it during the past week. At 700+ pages, this could take awhile.)
The Fitting Room: Putting on the Character of Christ, Kelly Minter
- The Purpose Driven Life, Rick Warren
Through My Eyes: Tim Tebow(This book wasn’t on my original list but when I saw it at the library, I couldn’t pass it up.) Secret project book(more to come on this later)
This brings me to a total of 25 books read so far this year. Not bad considering that it’s more than I read for all of last year. Say what?! It just goes to show that when you’re intentional about doing something (like reading more, in my case), you’ll find a way to make things happen.
If I had to pick a favorite among the books I read, I’d have to go with Lone Survivor. Man, this book really makes you appreciate the fact that there are brave and courageous men and women out there who are willing to fight on behalf of our country. I was completely flabbergasted by the rigorous training exercises and dangerous missions Marcus Luttrell describes in this book. I think every civilian should read at least one book like this in their lifetime because it gives you a higher level of appreciation for our military personnel.
Now, moving on…
If you recall, I said there’d be prizes at the end of the summer reading fest so here’s what’s up for grabs and how you can get in on the good stuff:
- Free Printable Bookmark - If you finished reading at least one book during the summer reading fest, leave a comment below with the name of the book.
- $20 Amazon Gift Card - Were you a reading fool during the reading fest? If so, this prize might be calling your name. Leave a comment below telling us how many books you read. The person with the highest number gets the prize. (In the event of a tie, a winner will be randomly selected. )
- $10 Amazon Gift Card – Did you read a really loooong book? If so, you, too, deserve your props. Leave a comment with the name of the book you read and how many pages it has. If your book was the longest, this card is yours. (In the event of a tie, a winner will be randomly selected. )
- $5 iTunes Gift Card – Bonus prize! Everyone has a chance to win this one because all you have to do is leave a comment below. One winner will be selected randomly from all the comments. Even if you didn’t read, just leave a shout out below.
When leaving a comment, be sure to leave your email address so I can contact you about any prizes you might win. Just be sure to leave your comment by 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, August 9 because all winners will be announced next Friday.
Summer Reading Fest may be over but keep on reading peeps!